Hear exceptional flute experiments, create a personal moss art frame, spend an evening with the Count, celebrate the Buckman Arts Center and honor the Day of the Dead this week. Discover more on ArtsMemphis’ event calendar.
Note: You can help the arts by participating in a particularly stellar event Events below and while there, take the 3-minute Americans for the Arts’ Arts and Economic Prosperity® survey. These surveys are conducted just twice a decade to measure the current economic impact of spending by both arts organizations and their audiences. Whether spent locally on dinner and drinks, childcare, parking or rideshare, or even clothing purchased for the event, these industry event-related expenses have a large economic impact. Data from a 2016 survey revealed that Memphis’ arts sector is a $197 million industry and joint second largest employer. What will 2022 tell us?
Immerse yourself in the beauty, fragility and transience of the natural world in this temporary outdoor installation! Explore the iridescent, oversized bubbles while going around and under them, and make sure to catch them at night when they light up! It’s the opposite of picture perfect.
Experimental music for flute
- Flutist and flute fan! Tune in to this unique performance by experimental musician Alice Blatchford, who will share works for flute, electronic and multimedia. Composers with pieces exploring Me Too movement, loss and imagery will include Eve Beglarian, Du Yun, Raminta Sarxnit and others.
Moss Art Workshop
- Create your own preserved moss art frame with faux bark, a variety of mosses, and dried flowers in this workshop led by Jenny Fortier of Reclaimed Gardens. Bringing new life to an old art frame will brighten up your space and require no maintenance!
Ballet Memphis Presents: Dracula
- To launch their spectacular new season of storytelling, Ballet Memphis presents the suspenseful and spellbinding thriller—Dracula. This take on a classic has been reimagined by Artistic Director Steven McMahon, guaranteeing a mesmerizing ride for all in attendance.
October 28 – 30
Happy Birthday, Buckman with the 1Breath Quartet
- Cheers to 25 years! Join the Buckman Arts Center for a birthday celebration featuring the 1Breath Quartet, a band made up of a select group of Mighty Souls Brass Band members. Hear a reimagining of rooted Delta spirituals while celebrating the vibe and culture of the Mid-South. Enjoy hors d’oeuvres, dessert and wine provided by Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse.
Buckman Arts Center
Día de los Muertos Parade and Festival
- This annual ABC grant-funding event is a fun festival produced by Cazateatro and the Brooks Museum. The parade starts at the Tower Courtyard in Overton Square and moves to the Museum Plaza. Enjoy costumed performers, dancers, face painting and more at this event that honors those we’ve lost while celebrating the same.
Overton Square + Brooks Museum