October 24, 2022
MacOS Ventura is now available
macOS Ventura takes the Mac experience to a whole new level with revolutionary capabilities that help users achieve more than ever before. New features like Continuity Camera allow users to work seamlessly on their Apple devices, and productivity tools, including Stage Manager, help users stay focused and easily transition between tasks. Safari is ushering in a password-free future with passkeys, and big updates are coming to popular apps, including Mail and Messages. macOS Ventura is available today as a free software update on Apple Silicon and Intel-based Macs.1
Continuity makes Apple devices work magically together
With Continuity Camera, Mac users can take advantage of the iPhone’s powerful camera system to unleash a revolutionary webcam experience.2 When an iPhone is nearby, the Mac can automatically recognize and use the iPhone’s camera to unlock new capabilities never before possible on a webcam, and it even works wirelessly for more flexibility. Desk View taps into the iPhone’s Ultra Vide camera to simultaneously show the user’s face and an overhead view of their desk — great for DIY videos, hands-on presentations, and more. Continuity Camera also brings innovative features like Center Stage, Portrait mode and the new Studio Light — an effect that beautifully illuminates the user’s face while darkening the background — to all Macs.3
Handoff now comes to FaceTime, so users can start a FaceTime call on one Apple device and seamlessly transfer the call to another nearby Apple device. A user can start a FaceTime call on their iPhone or iPad and transfer the call to their Mac when they get home or to the office, or they can even start a call on their Mac and transfer it to their iPhone or iPad when they’re away. in motion.
Organize workspaces automatically with Stage Manager
Stage Manager automatically organizes applications and windows so users can concentrate on the task at hand and still see everything at a glance. When users enable Stage Manager from the Control Center, the current window they’re working in is displayed prominently in the center, while other windows appear on the left so they can seamlessly switch between tasks. To create an ideal workspace, users can create groups of windows or applications when working on specific tasks or projects. Stage Manager also works alongside macOS windowing tools, including Mission Control and Spaces, and users can easily access their desktop with one click.
Access keys and new collaboration tools in Safari
Safari ushers in a password-free future with Access Keys — a new sign-in method that makes browsing in Safari even more secure. Access keys are more secure, easier to use and designed to replace passwords. Whenever users create a passkey, a unique digital key is created that stays on the device and is never stored on a web server, so hackers can’t discover them or trick users into sharing them. With Passkeys, it’s easy for users to sign in securely using Touch ID or Face ID for biometric verification, and Passkeys sync securely with end-to-end encryption using iCloud Keychain so they’re available on Apple devices including Mac, iPhone and iPad. Passkeys also work in apps and on the web, and users can even sign in to websites or apps on non-Apple devices using their iPhone.
Shared tab groups in Safari are a powerful way to collaborate with others on the web. Users can easily share websites with family, friends and colleagues and see what tabs others are viewing live. Users can also create a list of bookmarks on a shared home page to help jumpstart any group project — whether it’s planning a family vacation or completing a research paper — and users can even start a message conversation or FaceTime call with everyone in group, right from Safari.
Increase efficiency with new mail enhancements
Mail gives users the ability to schedule messages, cancel delivery of a message before it reaches the recipient’s inbox,4 and even add rich links for a better overview of the content. Mail can also detect if items such as an attachment or cc’d recipient are missing and remind the sender to add them. Users can even set reminders to return to a message later and get automatic suggestions for follow-up emails when they’re waiting for a response.
Mail search uses the latest techniques to deliver more accurate and complete results. It’s easy for users to quickly find what they’re looking for as soon as they click search, including recent emails, contacts, documents, photos and more, all before they even start typing.
Powerful messaging enhancements
Users can edit or revoke a recently sent message,5 recover accidentally deleted messages or even mark the message as unread if they cannot reply at this time. Collaborating with others is easier than ever as users now have the option to share a file in messages and automatically grant access to everyone in the thread. Activity updates appear at the top of the thread as everyone checks in and makes changes to the shared document. Users can also quickly join SharePlay sessions from their Mac directly in Messages, so they can chat while participating in shared experiences like watching a show or listening to a song together.
Effortlessly share photos with family via iCloud Shared Photo Library
iCloud Shared Photo Library allows users to create and share a separate photo library between up to six family members, so everyone can enjoy all of their family photos. It’s easy for users to share all their existing photos from their personal libraries, or share based on start date or people in their photos. Users will receive intelligent suggestions for sharing photo moments that include library participants and any other people they choose. And each user can add, delete, edit or favorite shared photos and videos, which will appear in each user’s Memories and Featured Photos, so everyone can relive family moments more fully.
Spotlight brings improved productivity
Spotlight comes with new features and an updated design that provides a more consistent experience across Mac, iPhone, and iPad. Users can now use Spotlight to find images in their photo library, on the web, and system-wide in apps like Messages and Notes. They can even search their photos by location, people, scenes or objects, and Live Text lets them search by text within images. Spotlight also includes rich category results for artists, movies, actors, TV shows, businesses, and sports. To increase their productivity, users can take actions from Spotlight to do things like start a timer or create a new document. With Quick Look in Spotlight support, users can quickly see a full-size preview of almost any type of file without having to open it.
Mac gaming is reaching new heights
The power of Apple silicon enables every new Mac to run AAA games with ease, and macOS Ventura brings new technologies like Metal 3 that take full advantage of the incredible hardware on the Mac — resulting in faster performance, more responsive games, and graphics that look stunning.
New AAA game titles are coming to the Mac later this year, including Capcom’s Resident Evil Village, which will launch in the Mac App Store on Friday, October 28, and will take full advantage of the power and performance of Apple’s more responsive silicon games, high frame rates and beautiful visuals.
- Live Text can recognize text in paused video frames, as well as Japanese and Korean text. Users can also lift a theme from an image and drop it into another app like Messages. Visual Look Up now they can recognize animals, birds, insects, statues and more landmarks.
- macOS Ventura brings new accessibility tools such as live subtitles for all audio content,6 Type to speak in calls, Text Checker to support proofreading for VoiceOver users, and more.
- The Time and A clock apps come to Mac with all the features users know and love from iPhone and do things like check local forecasts, create alarms, set timers and more.
- System Preferences becomes System settings and features a new design that’s optimized for efficient navigation on Mac and provides a more consistent experience on iPhone and iPad.
- macOS security is even stronger and makes your Mac more attack-resistant with new tools like Rapid Security Response, which runs between regular updates to easily keep security up-to-date.
macOS Ventura is available today as a free software update. For more information, including compatible Mac models, visit apple.com/macos/ventura.
- For compatibility with macOS Ventura, visit apple.com/macos/ventura. Some features may not be available in all regions, languages, or on all Mac models.
- Continuity Camera is available on iPhone XR or later running iOS 16.
- Continuity Camera with Center Stage and Desk View is available on iPhone 11 or later running iOS 16. Studio Light is available on iPhone 12 or later running iOS 16.
- Users can cancel the delivery of the message within 30 seconds of pressing “Send” or have the option to change the duration of the message in the inbox. Additionally, Undo Send can be turned off.
- Users can edit a message up to 15 minutes after sending and can unsend up to 2 minutes after sending. Users can make up to five changes to a given message, and recipients will be able to see a record of the changes made to the message.
- Live subtitles will be available in beta in English in the US and Canada on iPhone 11 and later, iPad models with A12 Bionic and later, and Macs with Apple silicon. The accuracy of live captions may vary and should not be relied upon in high risk situations.
Apple Media Helpline